Monday, July 18, 2011

Back.

Hi all. We're baaaccckkkk. No sickness and no disasters - just a week of fun in the sun. The worst thing that happened turned out to be one of the best. We rented bikes on one of our final days and had to ride home in a downpour. I haven't had that much fun in years! Riding through these huge puddles...soaking wet! It was wonderful!

We stayed at Casa las Tortugas on Isla Holbox, Quintana Roo, Mexico.  Here are a few picts from our trip.

The view from the second floor of our hotel restaurant.

We are dog people...even on vacation. I snapped this photo of Matt and a friend, Cocoa, on the beach on one of our last days.

Outside our hotel the morning we left.

And something familiar! Loved this simple white stippled quilt that was on our bed! Something familiar to me in an unfamiliar place! I know it was probably  produced in mass somewhere else, but I loved it!

I did take a few hand sewing project with me, but didn't make a lot of progress. Our days were like this: Walk or bike in the morning, got to breakfast at the hotel or someplace else, head to the beach or pool, enjoy some quacamole and chips around lunch time, lunch at the hotel or elsewhere on the island, back to the pool or beach, in for a shower and dinner followed by reading and then sleepytime!

The sand was perfect - white, soft and in most places hard packed and perfect for walking on or biking on. The mosquitos were the worst. Bug spray was often the perfume of choice. I am still scratching some bites.

The water was warm and clear. I have already created a quilt in my mind that will serve as a remembrance with pictures and t-shirts from our trip coupled with solid fabrics that reflect the color of the gulf waters. Plus some Frida Kahlo fabric for the backing!  (It should arrive this week!)
Saw a purse made with this fabric and wanted it soooo bad...but not $580 pesos bad. So, as soon as I got to a good Internet connection (Cancun) I searched for Frida Kahlo fabric and found it! Decided it would be the perfect fabric for the back of my vacation quilt.

It was a wonderful trip and we can't wait to go back again.  Very relaxing. No TV, no phone and a hit and miss Internet connection made for some great days away from our reality. There's the link to the rest of my photos on Facebook.

Sarah 


No comments:

Post a Comment