Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Making progress!

I am making progress on the reversible quilt and I am halfway done piecing the whole thing together. I have four more rows to add. Must have been off on the number of rows, seems there are only 8 rows. That's fine with me. It is coming together quicker than I expected. See, if I had only tried to put it together earlier it would be done!

Here's one side - Most of this fabric is Sanctuary.



An interesting bit about the light green sashing, it is a tone on tone print with little birds and flowers. The selvage says it is Brids by 3 Sisters for Moda. I'm thinking it should be Birds. Maybe that is the quilting equivelent of the stamp with the upside-down plane on it or the newspaper that said Dewey Defeats Truman!



This is side two - The fabric is Renewal by Brannock and Petak for Moda. The dark green sashing is the one I have to sew down by hand. The light green sashing on the first side is added by machine.

I think I finally have my seam size set right to get the rows to come together just right - no space in between and no overlaping under the sashing. I have a walking foot with interchangeable plates and one is a 1/4" seam guide (love it!). I have to use that one at a certain setting and remove that plate and then add the regular walking foot plate and change the setting again to put on the second side. Lots of moving parts.

Probably won't be able to take this baby on the trip with us as it will be too big. Heck, I may even have it done before we go, but I don't want to get ahead of myself!

My next challenge will be putting the binding on. You sew together the light green and the dark green binding and then machine sew one side on and hand sew the other. The teacher said it can't be sewn on like a traditional binding because you can't miter the corners. She suggests doing it in four sections, but I don't like the sound of that. I think I'm going to try mitering and if it doesn't work then I'll use the recommened method.

I think I'll take my hexigons for the third journey Prairie Women. More portable for a trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment